COACH EDUCATION - SARACENS DEFENSIVE PRINCIPLES WITH PAUL GUSTARD
With the season well under way, Saracens have once again displayed why they are recognised as the best defensive side in the country having only conceded seven tries in eight premiership games. With that in mind, Saracens will be delivering a Coach Education session at the University of Hertfordshire, to provide you with an insight into the principles that underlie why the club demonstrates such a successful defensive system.
‘Saracens Defensive Principles’ will provide an insight into the key underlying concepts that the club instills in its players to ensure an effective defensive system. The session will be led by Saracens defence and forwards coach Paul Gustard, who will deliver a 30 minute presentation followed by a practical session utilising the Saracens Academy players. After calling time on his 11-year professional career at the end of the 2007/08 season following spells with Leicester Tigers, London Irish and Saracens, Gustard made his move into coaching and has been successful ever since establishing arguably one of the best defensive systems for any club side in the World.
The practical session will allow for you as a coach to observe a number of drills, games and ideas that are implemented at both an academy and senior level at Saracens. The session aims to facilitate your coach development and supply you with ideas to take back to your club and implement with your own players to improve the way you defend.
Title: Saracens Defensive Principles
Price: £0.00 FREE
Venue: University of Hertfordshire, AL10 9EU
Date: Tuesday 27th November
Time: 19:00 – 21:00
We would encourage you to book early to avoid disappointment as spaces will initially be allocated on a first come first served basis - places on this session are strictly limited to 80 and places will only be allocated to members of Saracens Partner clubs and Partner Schools. This event is expected to fill fast so to book your place or for further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating your name, club and coaching age group.
Saracens can only accept individual requests for places on this course and please only book if you can guarantee your attendance. Following your booking in the week prior to session Saracens will contact you via email with all the details you require for the evening
Coach the Coaches great success
Our sincere thanks to Wasps' Community Rugby Manager Dave Larham and Community Rugby Coach Dai Fussell, our guests at the Coach the Coaches evening on 4 November. The feedback from the session was very positive from all the Medway coaches who attended. Thanks also to Stuart Clark and Mark Marriott for arranging it all. Pictures
"Coaching the Coaches" is an initiative within Medway Rugby Football Club that has these aims:
- to assist and enable coaches at every level at the club to improve their coaching ability, so that
- players at every level become better players, so that
- the playing ability, profile and standing of the club is improved.
The programme has four practical aspects:
- Coaching the Coaches sessions at the club - practical sessions where the first team coach Taff Gwilliam takes the lead and to which all coaches are invited. The first session took place on 31 October and was attended by 30 individuals, along with Taff and first team players, and of course catering and bar staff. Future sessions will be advertised on the front page of the website.
- The club has a paid-up subscription for weekly and monthly "electronic coaching sessions". These contain suggestions and guidance for all coaches and managers at Medway RFC on how to improve their training regime, and will be distributed by Ginger Longstaff.
- The club is also providing a library of resources to be used by coaches: these include core skills DVDs, books and other training aids and materials. Contact Taff Gwilliam for access to these materials.
- Specialist coaching sessions, provided by individuals at the club or possibly from outside, who will coach specific positions, skills or other aspects of the game. The first of these specialists is Ginger Longstaff who will coach front row skills. If you want to take advantage of Ginger's specialism, email him: email@example.com.
Coaching the Coaches practical sessions will take place at regular intervals and will be advertised in good time on the front page of the website. All current and future Medway coaches and managers are invited.
If you want to make yourself available as a specialist coach and be listed here, please contact Mark Marriott, Director of Rugby.